The Confovis TOOLinspect measurement system is an industrial solution for measuring functional surfaces. The combination of patented confocal microscopy and focus variation makes it possible to measure and analyze a wide variety of surfaces in 3D. The confocal measuring technique supports norm-traceable surface measurements down to the single-digit nanometer range. Focus variation, on its part, can also measure geometries on steep flanks (e.g. on cutting tools).
Complex measurement tasks are programmed as an automated intuitive “teach-in” measuring plan. Thus, even users without programming skills can reliably perform new tasks and obtain the measurement results in protocol format. These are displayed as target/actual comparisons and deviations are highlighted in simple traffic light colors.
The TOOLinspect measurement system is available in different device sizes and can therefore be adapted to a wide variety of measuring tasks. Parts up to 700 mm long and 700 mm high are mounted on a robust and vibration-damped machine frame.
Roughness measurement profile-based according to DIN EN ISO 4287/4288 and 13565, as well as area-based according to DIN ISO EN 25178
Form and contour: angles, heights, widths, radii, target/actual comparisons, etc.
Functional volume parameters in accordance with DIN EN ISO 25178 (e.g., Vmp, Vmc, Vvc, Vvv parameters)
Cutting edge measurement: cutting edge quality, edge rounding radius, form, K-factor, height defects
Wear of cutting tools
Step heights – even with transparent layers
Texture direction/isotropy, dominating waviness
Advantages of surface analysis with TOOLinspect
- High-precision measurements down to the single-digit nanometer range
- Measurement on reflecting, transparent and diffuse surfaces
- Combined measuring method: Confocal measurement technique and focus variation
- Large measuring fields measured by stitching
- Artifact-free measurements due to technologically negligible coherence and speckle effects – in contrast with laser scanning microscopes
- Full data transparency – raw data can be viewed for each individual measuring point
- No bat wing overshoots at discontinuities
- Roughness measurements traceable to standards: verifiable on the basis of standards from independent providers (for example, standard deviations in roughness measurements with the Halle roughness standard KNT 4070/03/A3 (Rz45µm) can be determined in a manner similar to those of the National Metrology Institute of Germany (PTB)
- User-friendly, intuitive, expandable measuring software from Confovis
- Simple handling: 3 clicks for the measurement, 1 click for the evaluation
- High degree of automation by measuring plan with “teach-in”
- Short measuring time: Profiles can be recorded in a similar way to a profile device (according to DIN EN ISO 3274).
- 2D and 3D characterization of surface features through fast area scans
- Large selection of evaluations by established analysis software MountainsMap©, GOM©, Halcon, Cognex, etc.
TOOLinspect in application
Fast and precise analysis of demanding surfaces
The quality requirements made on modern functional surfaces are constantly increasing as even the smallest deviations can have a considerable influence on the product properties. Modern functional surfaces are increasingly no longer produced by directed processes (such as turning or grinding), but are coated, for example. This creates randomly distributed structural elements on the surface. It is no longer sufficient to determine roughness parameters such as Ra, Rz, Rpk, Rk and Rvk on the basis of individual profile sections in order to evaluate the function of non-directed surfaces. Rather, it is necessary to assess the surface properties over the entire surface and to describe them, for example, with the surface functional parameters Spk, Sk and Svk as counterparts to the above roughness parameters.
In the past, quality assurance in the production of functional surfaces was reserved for profiling devices. These established measuring instruments produce meaningful and reliable results on directed surfaces with which manufacturing processes can reliably be monitored. If randomly distributed surface defects occur on tribological surfaces, profilometers are no longer helpful. To generate reliable measurements with a profilometer, very long measurement series with many profiles must be recorded and analyzed. Although the profilometer acts almost like a two-dimensional measuring device, it requires a disproportionately long measuring time. Because the probe tip radius is small, the measuring point of the measuring point of the individual profile sections cannot be found again and repositioned. Accordingly, it is not possible to provide proof of measuring equipment capability for complex surfaces.
Confovis assembles the measuring system according to the customer’s measuring task. The TOOLinspect measuring system is available in the sizes XS, S and M; parts of up to 100 kg weight and 700 mm length and 700 mm height can be measured. Custom sizes are available upon request.